Monday, August 8, 2011

Driving a car for extended period registered to another person in another state?

My Mom recently passed away and my father is making arrangements for me to drive her car. Since I am one of the 14 million that have been unemployed since October 2010 (declined for unemployment) I have no income to buy the car from him, or pay for the insurance. and must have a vehicle when I actually do get a job. (Too much info I'm sure). Anyway, my father has since had the car re-registered in his name in the state of Mississippi. I live in Missouri. The objective is for him to loan me the car for an extended period of time to drive in Missouri full-time. The vehicle will remain registered in his name and is insured by State Farm in the state of Mississippi. His SF agent told him he could add me as a driver to his policy. He carries full coverage. What are the implications of this scenario with regard to insurance and motor vehicle laws? Essentially, I will be driving a vehicle in a another state that is registered to someone else, in another state. You don't know what you don't know so I don't know where to start. Do I need to be compliant in both states? Or, just Missouri? I just want to make sure from an insurance standpoint I am covered for the worst case scenario and that if I were pulled over by an officer in Missouri I have the necessary paperwork to show them. Can anyone tell me what the red flags are in this situation and what I need to do to adequately protect myself, others in the event of an accident, and to be legal while driving in the State of Missouri? Many thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment